Last week I was called out by my good friend Zara on an emergency baking mission (yes, such things do exist!)
Our task: To make some delicious cakes and brownies to help raise money for Zara's sponsored climb of Kilimanjaro with Hope for Children. This is in aid of the Amani project in Tanzania, which looks to help street children in the Moshi District.
This was a great opportunity to combine something I love (baking) with helping a friend out in supporting a good cause. There were also luckily a couple of other people available, Connor, Josh and Alix, to help us out!
As time was short, we needed some easy, quick and tasty recipes which wouldn't disappoint. Luckily, I have three fail safe recipes I turn to when exactly this type of fool proof baking is required.
BBC Good Food's Best Ever Brownies
BBC Good Food's Smarties Cookies (we used white chocolate chips instead of smarties)
The simplest Fairy Cake Recipe ever! (Makes approximately 24 depending on size of cases)
150g/6oz Caster Sugar
150g/6oz Unsalted Butter, Softened
150g/6oz Self Raising Flour
2tsp Baking Powder
2tsp Vanilla Essence (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 180C and line a cupcake tin or two with 24 cupcake cases.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, add vanilla essence halfway through.
3. Sift together the flour and baking powder
3.With a ratio of 1 egg to 1tbsp of flour, start adding the eggs and flour slowly to the mixture until everything is used. After the eggs have been put in you will still have some flour left, just continue adding this a tbsp at a time.
4. Mix together well and you will have a lovely light cake batter to start filling your cases with. For standard cases you will need approximately 2tsp of batter per case.
5. Once your cases are full and ready to go, bake for 15-20 minutes in the oven until golden.
6. Ice with whatever you please - we used a simple glace icing made with 100g icing sugar and 2-3 tsp of water, topped with sprinkles.
The boys needed some football to keep them going
Melted Chocolate for Brownies
Baking takes its toll eventually