I was really surprised by how easy it is to make biscotti. The basic mix has only four ingredients, to which anything you fancy can be added. I went for two different versions, lavender with chopped pistachios and lemon zest with mixed seeds!
250g/9oz Plain Flour
½ tsp Baking Powder
250g/9oz Caster Sugar
3 Free Range Eggs
50g Chopped Pistachios
2tbsp dried Culinary Lavender
50g Mixed Seeds
Zest of one Lemon
1. Pre-heat your oven to 160C
2. Mix together the flour, baking powder and sugar in a bowl and add the eggs slowly, forming a dough
3. Separate this mixture evenly into two bowls, add the chopped pistachios and lavender to one and the lemon zest and mixed seeds to another. Knead both gently until they have formed a soft dough ball.
4. Roll each dough ball into a log. Place on a lined baking tray and bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven.
5. Cool slightly and cut into 1-2cm/½-¾in thick slices.
6. Place the slices back on the tray then bake for another 10-15 minutes, turn over and continue to bake for another 10-15 minutes until golden.
Enjoy in the Italian style with a cup of coffee for a mid morning treat!