Recently however, seafood has been having a bit of a golden age in my culinary repertoire, especially as I have discovered the joys of tinned fish - good for both the budget and body.
This is a breakfast I whipped up in around 15 minutes and combines the meaty flesh of mackerel with a soft yielding poached egg, topped off with some peppery rocket!
This recipe serves 2
You will need:
1 tin of mackerel in tomato sauce
1 tsp sunflower oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 tin of canned tomatoes
a handful of fresh cherry tomatoes
2 poached eggs
2 slices of toast
2 handfuls of washed rocket
salt and pepper to taste
1. heat up the oil in a frying pan, add the garlic and onion and cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes until softened.
2. Add mackerel and cherry tomatoes, cook for a further minute, then add the chopped tomatoes.
3. At this point, it's time to start poaching your egg (mine usually takes 6 minutes in a poach pod)
4. Prepare your toast on a plate with rocket to the side.
5. Top half of your toast with the tomatoey mackerel, the other with your poached egg.
Would you have fish for breakfast, or does the idea disgust you? Trust me, it's worth trying!!